Chocolate Toasted Rice by Christy Guthrie and Sarah Frankland / Yauatcha
HAZELNUT DAQUOISE SHEETS – MAKES 3 SHEETS, 1 KG PER SHEET (150 DISCS)
405 g ground hazelnut
405g ground almond
900g icing sugar (sifted)
1000g egg white
300g caster sugar
400g dark pate a glacer
900g hazelnut paste
1. Mix together the ground hazelnuts, almonds and icing sugar.
2. Make a French meringue, fold through the dry ingredients. Weigh 1kg onto a tray lined with a silpat mat and spread out evenly.
3. Bake at 165c for 12 minutes. Take out of the oven and immediately take the dacquoise off the silpat and onto cooling racks. Pate glace one side of the sheet sponge,and hazelnut paste on the other side.
HAZELNUT PRALINE PASTE, MAKES 3KG
300g rapeseed oil
1. Roast hazelnut lightly, then grind while hot in the thermo-mix, adding oil if necessary to form a thick paste.
TOASTED RICE PANNACOTTA INSERT (4500G)
3375g whole milk
1125g whipping cream
400g toasted rice
1. Toast the Brown rice in the oven at 180c until dark brown. Once toasted blitz into a powder.
2. Bring the Cream and milk to the boil, once boiling add the rice powder and clingfilm. Leave to infuse overnight, pass through a chinois and rescale liquid. Once boiling add the gelatine. Leave to Chill. Once part set, pipe into moulds and freeze.
SOY CARAMEL INSERT
750g whipping cream
15g soy sauce (gluten free)
1. Place the whipping cream into a pan and bring to the boil.
2. Prepare a dry caramel with the caster sugar and glucose, when the caramel is a deep amber colour, take off the heat and deglaze with the whipping cream, adding gently as this will create a lot of steam. Mix in the unsalted butter until fully emulsified then lastly mix in the soy sauce. Allow to cool. Place into piping bags and pipe on top of the set toasted rice pannacotta.
1000g rapeseed oil
1000g brown rice
1. Heat the oil in the fryer to max 190°C
2. Using the fine sieve fry the rice in batches until golden.
PUFFED RICE DISC
500g puffed rice
500g Alunga 41% chocolate by Cacao Barry
300g dark Pâte à Glacer by Cacao Barry
1. Temper the chocolate. Once tempered mix the rice and the chocolate together. Weigh out 500g and roll between baking paper. Once the sheet is semi set, Pâte à Glacer both sides and cut 5 cm discs.
MILK CHOCOLATE MOUSSE – Makes 160 cakes
750g whole milk
750g whipping cream
500g egg yolks
150g caster sugar
2815g Alunga chocolate by Cacao Barry
2815g whipping cream
1. Place the chocolate into a microwavable bowl and melt.
2. Bring the cream & milk to the boil, Whisk the yolks and sugar together, make an anglaise and cook to 83c. Add the soaked gelatine to this mix. Pour this mix through a fine chinois and over the melted milk chocolate.
3. Leave this base to cool to 40c, then fold in the soft peak whipped cream. Pipe into the prepared moulds.
MILK CHCOLATE GLAZE:
150g whipping cream
450g neutral glaze
450g Alunga chocolate by Cacao Barry
1. Bring the Cream, neutral glaze and Water to boil. Add the bloomed gelatine. Pour over the chocolate and mix until smooth.
CRYSTALLIZED PUFFED RICE (700g)
500g puffed rice
200g caster sugar
Cook the sugar and water to soft ball 121°c. Once at soft ball add the puffed rice and stir off the heat until the rice has crystallised.
BUILDING THE PETIT GATEAUX
1. Cut the daquoise with the 7cm rings and place onto a tray lined with silicone
2. Place the disc of puffed rice onto the top of the daquoise
3. Place the insert on top of the puffed rice with the soy caramel down. Place the moulds into the freezer until required.
4. Prepare the milk chocolate mousse, place into a piping bag and pipe into the prepared moulds until the top.
5. Palette off so that it is flat and place into the freezer over night.
6. De mould and return to the freezer until required.
FINISHING THE PETIT GATEAUX
1. Melt the milk chocolate glaze and blend until smooth, use at 32°C ladle over the top of the petit gateaux. Place onto the 8cm cake card.
2. Garnish the top of the glazed petit gateaux with roasted hazelnut halves, crystallised rice and Yauatcha chocolate decor
FOR THE GARNISH
5g roasted hazelnut
5g crystallised rice
2g Yauatcha square décor
0.05 gold leaf
4g crystallised rice
4g caramelised rice
You can enjoy this lovely dessert at http://www.yauatcha.com/soho/